Jul 23, 2015 07:59 AM Category: Africa
According to an article on El Manchar dated 20 June 2015, the Banque d'Algerie plans to introduce a new 5,000-dinar banknote by the end of 2015 featuring the 5th president of the Republic of Algeria, Abdelaziz Bouteflika, the minaret of the Mansorah mosque, and remains of the 13th century capital of Les Zianides in Tlemcen.
The note shown above is a fake composite and is not an official image from the bank.
Courtesy of Cleo Phas.
The Algeria chapter of The Banknote Book is now available for individual sale at US$4.99, and as a free download to subscribers.
This 9-page catalog covers every note (53 types and varieties, including 2 notes unlisted in the SCWPM) issued by Banque Centrale d’Algérie (Central Bank of Algeria) from 1964 to 1984, and Banque d’Algérie (Bank of Algeria) from 1992 to present. Published 31 May 2013.
Each chapter of The Banknote Book includes detailed descriptions and background information, full-color images, and accurate valuations. The Banknote Book also features:
- Sharp color images of note’s front and back without overlap
- Face value or date of demonetization if no longer legal tender
- Specific identification of all vignette elements
- Security features described in full
- Printer imprint reproduced exactly as on note
- Each date/signature variety assigned an individual letter
- Variety checkboxes for tracking your collection and want list
- Red stars highlight the many notes missing from the SCWPM
- Date reproduced exactly as on note
- Precise date of introduction noted when known
- Replacement note information
- Signature tables, often with names and terms of service
- Background information for historical and cultural context
- Details magnified to distinguish between note varieties
- Bibliographic sources listed for further research
Subscribe to The Banknote Book
If you collect the entire world or a large number of countries, buying a $99 annual subscription is the best deal because it's less expensive than buying chapters individually, and it entitles you to every chapter currently available as well as everything published—or revised (click here to see the Change Log)—during the next 12 months.
Sign up for Email Notifications
If you would like to receive email notifications whenever a new chapter of The Banknote Book is published, please join the email list by clicking the button below.
May 06, 2011 05:11 PM Category: Africa
PNL 2,000 dinars (US$27.55)
Greenish-blue and brown. Front: University professor lecturing students in amphitheater; satellite; double-helix DNA strand; three researchers in scientific laboratory with microscope and beakers. Back: Wheat; palm tree; body of water; urban high-rise buildings; olive tree. 13-mm wide LEAD holographic stripe. Windowed security thread with demetalized Arabic text. Watermark: Emir Abdelkader pattern. Printer: Unknown. 160 x 70 mm. 2011-03-24. Signature Unknown. Intro: 28.04.2011.
Read the Magharebia story dated 4 May 2011, “Algeria issues 2,000-dinar banknote.”
Courtesy of Yves Courtemanche and Jean-Michel Engels.