Argentina unveils designs of 200- and 500-peso notes to be issued mid-2016
Jan 15, 2016 05:37 PM Category: South America
According to a press release dated 15 January 2016, the Banco Central de la República Argentina intends to introduce a new family of notes, beginning with 200- and 500-peso notes in mid-2016, followed in 2017 by 20-, 50-, 100-, and 1,000-peso notes in 2017. All the denominations will feature Argentine wildlife, with a different native animal on front and the characteristic haibitat for the species on the back as follows, but to date, only the 200- and 500-peso note designs have been unveiled.
- 20 pesos: Guanaco, Patagonian steppe
• 50 pesos: Condor, Andean Region
• 100 pesos: Taruca, Northwest Region
• 200 pesos: Southern right whale, Argentine Sea, Antarctica and South Atlantic Islands
• 500 pesos: Jaguar, Northeast region
• 1,000 pesos: Rufous hornero (national bird), Central region
Courtesy of Cleo Phas and Alex Zlotin.